Bournemouth III


Bridport Daggers


The Blues came agonisingly close to gaining a well deserved try bonus point against the league leaders. Despite being comprehensively beaten 71-21 by a strong and professional Bournemouth side the Daggers showed commendable team spirit in the face again of a mounting injury crisis. Their wretched run of injuries continued losing two key players either side of half time. Seamus Fitzgerald had to go to hospital following an accidental clash of heads and Daragh McLoughlin limped off early in the second half with a possible reoccurrence of his ACL injury.

As has been the case in their first four matches against the top teams in the league Bridport were soon trailing on the scoreboard as the Bournemouth backs ran in three early tries. The Daggers countered when a knock on from the kick off led to a scrum penalty which Mitch Waters took quickly and drove through the defence to score a try which he converted.

Bridport forwards kept the ball tight and put the Bournemouth defence under a lot of pressure with Seamus Fitzgerald getting over the line but being held up by excellent Bournemouth defence.

Bournemouth were able to clear their lines and swept into the Daggers 22 with only a try saving tackle by Fitzgerald preventing a score. However, Bridport were powerless to stop the Bournemouth backs running in 2 further tries.

With half time approaching Bridport again benefited from a penalty from the kick off which Nathan Herbert took quickly to drive over for a converted try. The Daggers mounted one more attack but good defence again saw them held up over the line. Half time score 35-14.

With both Fitzgerald and McLoughlin now off the field the forwards were not able to keep the ball tight and the Bournemouth backs were able to exploit the open spaces and score a further 5 unanswered tries despite two try saving tackles by Harrison Crane and Peter Mullany.

With the game moving into the final ten minutes Bridport found some inspiration with Waters and Livingston making telling breaks into the Bournemouth 22.

From a resulting penalty Hugh Vivian again took the quick tap to drive over the line. Bridport now had the bit between their teeth, going in search of the bonus point try. The forwards were immense in their efforts to get the ball over the line gaining a series of penalties as Bournemouth repeatedly infringed but their defence held firm and they were able to force a knock on. Even so a superb scrummage effort forced a penalty which gave Bridport one last opportunity, but they were again agonisingly held up over the line.

Captain Andrew Livingston said the team fought to the end and were the better side in the closing stages as they sought the bonus point try. All eyes now move to next weeks’ game but the undoubted low for the team was the injuries to key players.