Bridport Daggers


A hard fought game between two evenly matched sides resulted in a close win for Oakmeadians. In the dying minute Bridport were denied a try, this would have won the match for the Daggers but in true rugby spirit each side applauded each team from the pitch.

Five minutes from the kick off Oaks were penalised for offside but Mitch Waters missed the kick for goal. For the following ten minutes the game was played in both halves until a ruck won by the visitors was spun out along the backs and resulted in a scintillating run by Jordan Neil who scored in the corner, Waters had his kicking boots on and sent the ball between the uprights.

Oaks then were awarded a penalty from which they put the ball in touch. Line out won by Oaks and spun along their line which came to no avail until a rucked ball was illegally stolen by the Daggers giving the hosts a chance to send the ball deep into the Bridport 22. A clean line out allowed the Oaks their first threatening run with their strong number 10 crossing the line immediately in front of Bridport’s posts an easy kick and a further 2 points; 7-7.

The following 15 minutes was dominated by scrappy play from both sides as they were so evenly matched, knock-ons, forward passes resulting in the inevitable scrum battles. Then some scoring action at long last. Fumbled ball allowed Waters to make a strong drive in midfield feeding the ball out to Jed Gravelle who drove over the Oaks try line and an easy kick with a following wind allowed Waters to add to the points; 14-7.

This goaded the hosts into life and a penalty in their favour gave them a chance to get into the Daggers 22. From a line out they won the ball held in a driving maul then spun out enabling their centre to score under the posts and the extras were added; 14-14.

Ding dong for the next passage of play until a penalty for standing up in the scrum gave Oaks a chance to take a quick tap penalty which saw their number 8 touch down under the posts and the kick gave them the lead 21-14 at half time.

With a strong wind on their backs the Daggers should have taken more advantage of the elements but gave high kicks to a confident Oaks full back who returned the ball to their advantage. Kicks deep into touch may have been a better decision. Within a few minutes of the second half whistle a couple of missed tackles allowed a storming break by Oaks resulting in an unconverted try; 26—14.

Fortunately a penalty was soon awarded to the Daggers and Waters gained a further 3 points. The second half was destined to remain an exciting game and the supporters were not disappointed. Nip and tuck until Oaks gave away a penalty for holding on in the ruck. Easy kick for Waters; 26-20.

Then a similar infringement by the Daggers and a kick increased the hosts lead to 29-20. Not to be beaten Bridport drove a maul over the line and a touchdown by Jamie Bickley added a further 5 points to reduce the deficit; 29-25.

Oaks held out with ferocious tackling and in the dying minutes Bridport crossed their line but the winning try was disallowed as the referee deemed that the ball was held up and not grounded. Oaks kicked the ball off the park and the final whistle blew.

Final score 29–25 to the hosts. Amateur rugby at its best, a tight game, no cards and handshakes afterwards.